Hi This is John,s Blog

HI, Welcome to my ART blog.I hope you like it.Your comments are always welcome.

A paddle

A paddle

Wednesday 29 September 2010

Some more Pastels


Tweaked Photo
Here are a couple of new pastels I have not really decided whether its best to fix the pastel or not. I think the downside is that fixing does darken the painting, but if you leave it un-fixed you really do have problems handling and storing.Has anybody got any thoughts ?. The first is a tweaked photo  I really liked the texture and colours so I started here!.
Pastel
This is the second pastel they really do let you use bright vibrant colours so that is the exercise here.

5 comments:

Sarika Alvekar said...

Nice artwork.

I have tried Workable fixative, I read somewhere it darkens less than normal fixative.

About handling I use cello paper folders, so it helps to keep painting one on other. And all that bunch you can keep in a box horizontally.

Cathy Holtom said...

I like your pear! I love pastels but have a problem with the dust, fixing etc, I end up spraying them out of desperation, but it does spoil the lovely light reflecting qualities. One of the reasons I don't too many!

nanke's stuff said...

I've found that unless you frame them right away, they almost have to be sprayed. Your pear is lovely and I like the colors you used int he woman's hair! nancy

Alex said...

Great job with the pear! I find using tweaked photos as reference is really good! I mean, it really helps a lot when it comes to tones and all.
Nice portrait too!

Unknown said...

I've never used pastels, but just recently received a set of 100 for my birthday. Love what you're doing with them! I ordered a book that came highly recommended, The Pastel Book; hopefully it will have this sort of information in it. I'll let you know!